Mountain (Wo)Man - July 15, 2017


I have had the most amazing week and learning experience while in Cherokee, NC. The Southern charm and generosity of the people that showed us so much time, effort, and hospitality was very humbling. The thing I feel the most proud about this past week was seeing all of the donations we were able to collect and bring to this community in need. Knowing that we are helping many foster children with just the basics, such as clothes and school supplies means a lot to me. Growing up I never had to worry about those things and looking back on my childhood, and even now as a young adult, I see that I take a lot of things for granted so this trip has helped me in becoming a more kind and generous person, which is something I was hoping to get out of this week. Going to the church service on Wednesday night was really out of my comfort zone. I didn’t feel uncomfortable, but hearing the story of the pastor and his wife and their family that they have acquired was humbling to know that even people who don’t have a lot or are barely getting by still come together to worship something that they believe in. It was something incredible to witness in person. Something that I’m still having trouble with though it the correlation between their heritage and the problems in their healthcare system. The Cherokee culture and heritage is beautiful and should be passed down by generations and celebrated by families, but it shouldn’t effect how they comply with their healthcare regimen or be used for an excuse. I have a culture but still do what is best for my health and wellness. Not all of the Cherokee think the new and updated healthcare system is bad, but some are still skeptical, which is leading them to not be as healthy as they could be, which is leading their area through a never ending cycle of chronic conditions. After a long week of observations and learning experiences, I have found that every culture is different and every person may have their own story, but that doesn’t mean that you always know it.

Cherokee Indian Hospital
Cherokee, NC

Comments

  1. Beautiful post Mackenzie. I am glad that we had the unique opportunities such as going to the church. Sometimes when we get out of our comfort zone is when we learn the most!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts